God uses healthy relationships between men to provide healing and to initiate positive changes in the world. When a man is alone, he’s vulnerable—when he’s part of a band of brothers, he gains spiritual strength, confidence and success.
All of our K21 materials are created to help men build a support team that they can rely on in the future. Each of our books and DVD study programs include discussion questions after each lesson or chapter. We use the word campfire to describe this small group discussion time. During this time, men can personalize and apply information they gained from a lesson as they encourage each other to talk about their thoughts or topics that challenge them. Campfire discussions encourage men to verbalize and clarify their goals and provide the encouragement they need to make positive changes in their life.
Men need God in order to improve themselves in significant, life-changing ways. God uses campfire members as His representatives who support and encourage each other in this transforming experience.
Campfire discussions should aim to accomplish the following:
- Reduce a man’s sense of loneliness—as he spends time with other men, he’ll recognize that many of his thoughts and feelings are similar to what others experience.
- Provide opportunities for men to initiate their own personal growth by contributing positively to the lives of others—through giving, listening and serving.
- Inspire men through demonstrating the reality that it is possible for them to change and that past struggles or failures don’t have to lead to defeat.
- Teach men about their God-given design and how to apply God’s Word to their life.
- Encourage men to redefine and resolve the past experiences that previously limited their manhood.
- Support men—their choice to isolate themselves from others will be challenged as they learn to practice interpersonal skills.
- Show men how to learn from the example of others who experience life differently.
- Create a sense of belonging as, together, men work toward a purpose beyond what each of them can accomplish individually.
- Challenge men to integrate God’s principles and power into their lives by developing accountability relationships.
- Help men relax—the stress of life can be relieved through laughter, fun, talking about concerns, feeling the support of others and a growing sense of trust.
- Provide feedback as men talk about their plans and start to understand each other’s personalities, tendencies and challenges.
- Reveal a man’s limitations and the changes he needs to make in order to better reflect God’s purpose for his life.