Of the total rescue mission population:
- 73% are males—often leaving women and children alone without a husband or father
- 11% are veteran males
- 83% prefer spiritual emphasis in their rescue mission experience
- 32% struggle with mental illness
- 69% have a high school diploma or above
- 21% have some college education
*Statistics are from AGRM’s 2014 Snapshot Survey (https://www.agrm.org/agrm/2014_Snapshot_Survey_Yearly_Comparison.asp).
When asking men in rescue missions about their experience participating in the K21 Squire (Year 1)
program, the results were overwhelmingly positive.
After completing Squire: The Training of the Knight:
- 95.5% of men feel angry less often
- 100% have a more positive attitude
- 81.8% face fewer disciplinary actions
- 90.9% feel more optimistic about who they are becoming
- 100% are motivated to be honorable men
- 100% have a higher hope of being successful upon graduation
- 90.9% have improved relationship skills
- 95.5% have come to terms with their past failures
- 71.4% are contributing to their self-care
- 95.5% have learned to use their faith when making decisions
- 100% can identify two positive goals for the future
THESE SURVEY RESULTS PROVED TO BE PROGRESSIVE — the longer a man was part of a K21 program, the more positive his survey responses and outlook on life became.
Primary issues facing rescue mission population include unemployment, addictions, hunger, homelessness, increased financial burdens, job loss and downsizing. Through our 24-week DVD program The Heroic Man’s Journey
, K21 works to change the often disheartening status of our culture by providing males with the tools to achieve true manhood. We believe that every man is of infinite worth—and it’s never too late to change.
K21 guides males toward manhood with the following goals as our focus:
- To inspire men to adopt a new attitude.
- To challenge and motivate men to realize and strive toward their full potential.
- To lead men to become better husbands, fathers and friends.
- To introduce a system of strong values that help men recognize and guide their anger and emotions.
- To help build strong, supportive accountability relationships between men.
- To instill a sense of respect for all women.
- To integrate faith into manhood in understandable ways.
Rescue missions across the country use our DVD programs as a powerful, Christ-centered tools to aid in addiction recovery, transformation of thinking and behavior, healing of relationships and the building of brotherhood. Roy Smith, author and founder of K21, is a licensed psychologist and ordained minister who created K21 and our men’s ministry programs using his 35 years of experience counseling men struggling with addictions.
AGRM President John Ashmen. “Most of our missions tell us their beds are full every night, plus they are using all the common space in their facilities to accommodate the long lines of people showing up at their doors, pleading for a warm place to sleep.”
People are losing hope—our mission is to restore hope to the hopeless. Men are often stuck in a rut in these situations. We want to come alongside these men and gives them the tools they need to form new pathways through new ways of thinking.
K21 rescue mission groups start out with Squire: The Training of the Knight, the first 24-lesson part of our 5-part series—The Heroic Man’s Journey. Squire introduces men to manhood in understandable, relatable ways. After watching each video lesson, the men split up into smaller “campfire” groups to discuss the deeper aspects of life. The Squire workbook contains questions to help drive these growth-producing discussions. The workbooks also contain motivating action steps, pages for writing out goals and other tools to help men move even further in their manhood journey.
If you have any questions about our rescue mission/shelter ministry or the programs we offer, please contact us at any time:
Send a donation
Servant’s Oasis is a ministry dedicated to rescuing, refreshing and growing God’s people. A core objective of Servant’s Oasis is to provide K21 curriculum to men’s ministries through matching funds, or by donating study materials to assist men in prisons, inner-city churches, community centers and other countries. To help other men discover God’s truth and live better, send your tax deductible donation to:
200 North 7th Street
Lebanon, PA 17046
Contact us for free coaching or to sponsor a prison ministry:
(press 1 for Knights, then press 3 for Tami Weissert or 4 for Chap Noles, our directors of prison outreach and ministry)
Contact Servant’s Oasis
1-800-777-0305 (press 3 for Servant’s Oasis)
K21 rescue mission/shelter groups start out with Squire: The Training of the Knight
, the first 24-lesson part of our 5-part series—The Heroic Man’s Journey
introduces men to manhood in understandable, relatable ways. After watching each video lesson, the men split up into smaller “campfire” groups to discuss the deeper aspects of life. The Squire
workbook contains questions to help drive these growth-producing discussions. The workbooks also contain motivating action steps, pages for writing out goals and other tools to help men move even further in their manhood journey.